Friday, July 30, 2010

Nuevo Bicicleta -> 2010 Jamis Eclipse

Here's a little back story to my new bike purchase. So at the end of May I was hit by a motorist on my way to school. It was completely his fault and to make a long story short I collected $2k for property damages and some other amount for hospital bills. I am fine which is the more amazing part but the less amazing part is pretty awesome as well. Now I finally get a chance to EP a bike and save some coin in the process. So I went with the Jamis Eclipse. Why? The decision to go with the Eclipse took a month to make. I asked some buddies at the shop and I was hearing from a lot of the younger guys that carbon was the way to go. "Don't put your money into anything but carbon... CARBON CARBON CARBON CARBON!!!!" Yes carbon is great, it is light, it is stiff, it is efficient when it comes to getting from A to B the fastest. I agree. I have ridden carbon though. I've ridden the highest end Colnago, Look, Time and Merckx. Call me dumb but the felt ... dry. Like a hollow coconut. No milk on the inside. Like a dry brain after a night of hard drinking. Sure it was light but the ride was too stiff, too hollow, to PING-y. I've been riding an old steel Olmo Pista for 3 years and that thing rides like a dream. Sure it is old and made of a heavier material but the comfort is hands down the dopest dope. The bumps of the road push back on me and give me mere milli-seconds to allow me to smooth them out whereas on the carbon frames each bump snaps at you like a whip and leaves you feeling cold and used... maybe worried as well as you ponder the idea of cracking your carbon. The Jamis comes with 853 heat treated tubing and an Ultegra 6700 group. Little bit of high-end steel mixed with modern high end components. The FSA SLK crankset will soon be sold for a matching compact Ultegra crank and the American Classic 420 wheelset which will be sold for a better climbing or crit wheelset. More on that decision later.

For now, this is the bike for me. The paint job ain't half bad either. Simple and classic almost. Red really isn't my color but for the price I got... I'm lovin' it. Can't wait to crest the Sandias next weekend.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe in a Reader